The renowned “SHIPWRECK” is one of the landmarks of Amorgos.
The boat sank in 1950 and the name of the ship was “ISLAND”.In 1975, it was renamed “STRYMON” and in 1979 “OLYMPIA”.
It sank in February 1980 due to rough sea in winds that were 10 beaufort.The ship was helpless and the rough sea hit it on Liverio bay in the area of Kallotaritissa but luckily the whole crew was saved.
This shipwreck inspired director Luc Besson. We can see the shipwreck in many scenes of the movie “The Big Blue” which made Amorgo famous worldwide.